Tag Archive: Samsung Galaxy S8



Samsung said on Tuesday it will be bringing Bixby, its virtual assistant, to India later this month, as the company announced the availability of the Galaxy Note 8 smartphone. The arrival of Bixby in India further intensifies the battle for AI-powered digital assistants Google’s Assistant, Apple’s Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana, and Amazon’s Alexa, which is also set to be launched in the country later this year.

The South Korean electronics company, which assumes the tentpole position among smartphone makers by both volume and brand value, said it had put months of rigorous efforts at its Research and Development centres in Bengaluru to understand and adapt to Indian dialects and contexts. Samsung says it has thoroughly baked in support for various Indian accents, letting even those customers who have opted for English (US) language, make use of Bixby.

Bixby, which was launched across several US and European markets earlier this year, offers four essential features to customers – the ability to talk to Bixby, take pictures and let it make sense of it, use it to set reminders, and receive recommendations for products, foods, and things to read.

Samsung said Bixby will be available to customers in India from September 30. Bixby, unlike Siri and Google’s Assistant, doesn’t work with a wide-range of smartphones. At present, only the Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, and the Galaxy Note 8 offer this functionality. Samsung-made Android smartphones, however, also support Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, and Amazon Alexa, should users desire to utilise them.

The limited target audience for Bixby might emerge as a roadblock in its growth. Apple has shown some commitment to improve Siri’s reachability in India, adding diction support for a handful of local languages including Hindi. iOS 11, the latest mobile operating system from Apple that is expected to roll out later this month, will introduce that support.

In the meantime, Amazon is planning to bring Alexa with the Echo Dot smart-speaker in India later this year, people familiar with the matter said.

 

 

Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)

Advertisements

Samsung may be the next handset manufacturer to go for pressure-sensitive display technology for its next flagship, if a new report citing multiple industry sources is to be believed. Notably, Samsung’s pressure-sensitive display technology is expected to work same as Apple’s 3D Touch seen on iPhones.

The technology will be able to distinguish between a light tap and deep press, enabling access to more functions just by pressing harder. Notably, Samsung won’t be the first Android handset vendor to bring pressure-sensitive display technology to its phones as Huawei was the first to unveil the force touch tech. To recall, Huawei’s Mate S was the first Android smartphone featuring Force Touch technology.

The report by The Investor cites an official of a Samsung supplier who said, “Samsung is mulling to adopt the force touch technology partially from the S8 but the full adoption will come in one or two years. It is a matter of time before other major Android smartphone makers deploy the technology that will help enhance user interface.” The report also suggests that Samsung may utilise its own force touch tech developed by Samsung Display, which also supplies force touch displays to Huawei.

Additionally, Samsung’s Senior Executive at component division on condition of anonymity claimed that the South Korean company was working on the force touch tech “for the adoption in the near future.”

A recent report claimed that Samsung’s Galaxy S8 may launch in two screen size variants – 5.7-inch and 6.2-inch. Prolific phone tipster Evan Blass (@evleaks) claimed that the Samsung Galaxy S8 models will have model numbers SM-G950 and SM-G955 for 5.7-inch and 6.2-inch screen sizes respectively.

Based on preliminary leaks, Samsung Galaxy S8 will sport a 5.5-inch 4K (2160×3840 pixels) Super AMOLED display with impressive pixel density of 806ppi. It is further expected to pack company’s own Exynos 8895 SoC coupled with 6GB of RAM. Rumours so far have claimed that Samsung will launch the alleged Galaxy S8 flagship smartphone on the side-lines of MWC 2017 in Barcelona on February 26.

 
Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Samsung’s failed gamble with its earlier than usual Galaxy Note 7 launch is a story worth the big movie screens. The series of events that began in August, will haunt the South Korean tech giant for a long time. After a series of bad decisions, Samsung had to finally kill the Galaxy Note 7 altogether and grudgingly refund the money or replace units with Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge smartphones. Now, a fresh report hints that this fallout has even delayed the work on next year’s Samsung Galaxy S8 by two weeks, and the company may not follow its tradition to launch the S series at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next year.

It’s been almost two months since the first explosion incident cropped up, but Samsung is still unable to find the root cause of the issue. All of Samsung’s engineers are working hard to solve the puzzle, including the Galaxy S8 development team, and this has delayed work on the S series flagship by two weeks, the Wall Street Journal reports. This delay isn’t too much of a stretch, but assuming that Samsung would want to be absolutely sure that the Galaxy S8 checks all the safety boxes, it will take its time to ensure that the ‘S’ series does not get hit as hard as its Note series did.

There was also a report earlier that claimed that Samsung was even considering killing off its ‘Note’ series altogether after the bad reputation it gained from this controversy. In any case, the Wall Street Journal claims that the demise of the Galaxy Note 7 is heavily attributed to the hasty decisions made by the executives in the time of crisis. Samsung’s mobile chief DJ Koh announced the first recall hastily even though there wasn’t enough solid evidence of the problem. The batteries made by SDI and China’s Amperex Technology were of different shapes, and a ‘certain bump’ in the one’s made by SDI was claimed to be the cause of the issue. Without any deep investigation, the recall was announced, and the company believed that the change in battery supplier would solve the issue.

Furthermore, Samsung’s heir and vice chairman Lee Jae-yong also supported the initial recall in his bid to push the company to be more transparent. As we know, this decision proved to be fatal, and replaced devices also started to catch fire. After spending weeks on trying to find the problem, and failing to do so, the company had to finally kill the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and shift its efforts to pull all of the units from the market.
There were several things that Samsung could’ve done to prevent this downfall. After initial reports of explosions started flooding in, Samsung could’ve been more transparent of its investigation, and possibly even open-sourced it, if they were unable to do it in-house. Instead of a hasty recall on its own, the company should’ve roped in the Consumer Product Safety Commission for a thorough investigation before taking a step in any direction.

In any case, the Galaxy Note 7 is now a thing of the past, and users who pre-ordered are given the option to either go for a Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, or just take a refund. This controversy is to cost the company billions of dollars, not to mention users’ loss of trust. With the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung even skipped a numeral, and was definite that this would be the year where it would dominate the smartphone market scenes. However, this controversy proved to probably be the best Diwali gift for Apple this year.

As for the Samsung Galaxy S8, it was rumoured to launch on February 26, but may now be delayed. It is said to have a 16- or 18-megapixel dual-camera setup on the back; and Samsung may ditch the Home Button on the S8.

 

Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Samsung is expected to launch the Galaxy Note 7 earlier than tradition, and is expected to host an Unpacked event on August 2. Now, a fresh leak hints that the company’s website is already in the works of hosting an additional page listing the Galaxy Note 7. Furthermore, there is also a separate leak revealing some interesting details of the Galaxy S8 scheduled for release next year.

ha

 

Starting with the Galaxy Note 7, the South Korean company’s official website now hosts (via GSMArena) a user agent profile page for the model number SM-N930F. Unfortunately, the profile page doesn’t reveal any details apart from the model number. Presumably the SM-N930F is the Galaxy Note 7, as the Galaxy Note 5 was SM-N920, and the Note 4 was the SM-N910 previously.

Samsung is said to have skipped a numeral, and ditched the 6 to be in sync with its flagship – Galaxy S series. The phablet has been leaked on various occasions, and it is said to come with an iris scanner. This will enable users to unlock the smartphone just by looking at it. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is rumoured to pack a 5.8-inch QHD display; a Snapdragon 820 or Snapdragon 823 processor; 6GB of RAM; 32GB of inbuilt storage; expandable storage via microSD card, a 12-megapixel rear camera, and a Dual Pixel setup in the front. Samsung is also expected to ship the Galaxy Note 7 with a USB Type-C port. The mass production of the phablet is said to begin on July 5.

In a separate leak (via Wccftech), Samsung’s next year flagship smartphone Galaxy S8 may just sport the dual camera setup that is aggressively rumoured on the iPhone 7 Plus this year. The camera will be built by Samsung Motors (Semco) itself. It is also expected to feature a 4K (2160×3840 pixels) display, and may be powered by a Snapdragon 830 SoC. The chip is pegged to be produced using a 10nm FinFET process for more power and energy efficiency.

 

Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)