Latest Entries »


Avenir Telecom licensed smartphone brand Energizer Mobiles has announced the launch of the latest Hardcase H570S in France. This is the company’s first rugged smartphone that comes with IP68 dust and water resistance. The phone is said to withstand a fall of up to 1.2 metres and can stay under water up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes at a stretch. The phone has a large 4800mAh battery and is expected to be made available in Q2 2018. Pricing details are currently not available.

Energizer Hardcase H570S specifications
The dual SIM Hardcase H570S runs Android 8.0 Oreo out-of-the-box. It sports a 5.7-inch full-HD+ (1080×2160 pixels) display with an 18:9 aspect ratio and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection. The phone is powered by a quad-core MediaTek Helio P18 SoC, paired with 3GB of RAM and 32GB inbuilt storage. Storage is expandable via microSD card (up to 128GB).

In terms of camera specifications, the Hardcase H570S bears a 13-megapixel primary sensor and a 0.3-megapixel secondary sensor on the back, and dual 8-megapixel sensors on the front. There is a large 4800mAh battery, with 12V fast charge and Intelligent Power Saving technology, powering the internals from under the hood.

Connectivity options on the handset include 4G VoLTE, NFC, and USB Type-C. Sensors include gyroscope, compass, accelerometer, and fingerprint sensor (up to 5 fingerprints).

Energizer Mobiles recently announced the launch of several new smartphones during Mobile World Congress 2018 in Barcelona. These include the Power Max 16K Pro with a 16000mAh battery, Power Max P490S with a 4000mAh battery, and the Hardcase 590S with a 5800mAh battery.

The company also revealed the new Hardcase H240S 4G feature phone ahead of MWC 2018. The rugged feature phone comes with water and shock proof features.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)

Advertisements

Microsoft is set to move Windows 10 S from a dedicated operating system to merely a mode for existing Windows 10 versions in 2019. The new development, which was initially a part of the rumour mill, has now been confirmed by Microsoft VP Joe Belfiore. The Redmond giant launched Windows 10 S in May last year as a lightweight version of Windows 10 – targeting schools and other institutions – to take on Google’s Chrome OS.

Belfiore, in a tweet on Wednesday, said, “Next year, 10 S will be a ‘mode’ of existing versions, not a distinct version.” By switching to the new ‘S Mode’, your Windows 10 system will no longer be able to install apps from any third-party sources and will instead only accept apps from Microsoft Store. Also, the apps will run in a limited nature, just as they perform operations on Windows 10 S operating system.

The tweet posted by Belfiore also confirms that Microsoft is planning to bring the S Mode to all existing Windows 10 versions, including Windows 10 Home, Enterprise, and Pro. It was previously rumoured that Windows 10 Home users with the by default enabled S Mode will be able to switch to the full-fledged Windows 10 Home for free, while the users with S Mode will need to pay $49 to get access to Windows 10 Pro.

It is worth pointing out here that Windows 10 S machines already have the option to switch to a full Windows 10 version. Microsoft even last year offered a chance to all Windows 10 S users to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free. That free upgrade was recently extended until March 2018.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Xiaomi on Wednesday unveiled 32-inch and 43-inch variants of its new Mi TV 4A lineup for India. The official product unveiling took place via a brief online live stream. Just before the end of the stream, however, Xiaomi teased the launch of a new smartphone expected on March 14. According to the side profile shot that was given in the video, we can expect the budget Xiaomi Redmi 5 to make an appearance in the Indian market later this month. The video shows a camera bump on the smartphone, which resembles the one seen on the Redmi 5.

While the Redmi 5A and Redmi 5 Plus (rebranded as Redmi Note 5) are already available in India, the Redmi 5 is needed to complete Xiaomi’s trifecta of latest budget smartphones in the market. Successor to last year’s Redmi 4, the Redmi 5 could be priced starting at Rs. 7,999 considering the higher-specced Redmi Note 5 has arrived in India at a base price of just Rs. 9,999.

Xiaomi Redmi 5 specifications
The dual SIM (nano) Redmi 5 runs MIUI 9 on top of Android Nougat out-of-the-box. The phone sports a 5.7-inch HD+ (720×1440 pixels) display with an 18:9 aspect ratio and 282ppi pixel density. It is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 SoC, coupled with 2GB/ 3GB/ 4GB of RAM and 16GB/ 32GB of inbuilt storage.

In the camera department, the handset comes with a 12-megapixel rear sensor that has features like f/2.2 aperture, PDAF, and LED flash. On the front is a 5-megapixel selfie camera with a “soft-light” flash module. The front camera also has Xiaomi’s proprietary Beautify 3.0 capabilities. There is a 3300mAh battery under the hood. Dimensions of the phone are 151.8×72.8×7.7mm and weight is 157 grams.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


BSNL has introduced a set of new plans for its prepaid and postpaid segments in Assam, a senior company official said.

Data mini packs for instant users, new unlimited voice STV (special tariff vouchers), enhanced free data limit/month, up to 60 percent discount on postpaid rents are among some of the new plans, BSNL Assam Telecom Circle Circle Chief General Manager Sandeep Govil said.

The new products are for both mobile and landline customers, he said. More details will be available on the company site.

The company has also launched international Wi-Fi hot-spots for customers travelling abroad, through the My BSNL app, at Rs. 501 for 30 days, Govil said.

BSNL earlier this month launched a new plan aimed at postpaid users who seek data and calling benefits. The new BSNL ‘Holi Dhamaka’ plan is priced at Rs. 399 and provides unlimited calls and 30GB of data for one billing cycle. BSNL customers across the country will be able to opt for the new plan.

The new BSNL Rs. 399 plan comes with 30GB of bundled data with no daily caps, and is available for both new and existing customers. Subscribers will not be billed for STD and local calls, and calls made while roaming outside the home circle will be free as well. It should be noted that BSNL offers 4G Internet in Kerala circle only, while the other circles still only have 3G speeds; the company recently partnered with Nokia to roll out 4G VoLTE services in 10 telecom circles.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro, launched last month, are currently being sold in India through flash sales with the third one held on Wednesday, March 7. While the sales have become a runaway hit for the brand, there is one issue plaguing them – resellers. To curb resellers from purchasing numerous units and selling them off at a premium, Xiaomi India on Tuesday announced that it would be removing the COD (Cash On Delivery) payment option for the Redmi Note 5 Pro for “initial few sales” on Mi.com and Flipkart.

While this move is expected to impact the subset of resellers that order units using COD, and cancel orders depending on demand, the process of cancelling prepaid orders is very feasible and can still be misused by these resellers. It has been widely rumoured that bulk buyers use certain script codes in order to score several units in flash sales. This practice has kept genuine buyers from getting units for themselves. Xiaomi’s move is aimed at helping these genuine customers get their hands on a Redmi Note 5 Pro.

“We have always, and will continue to stringently discourage unauthorised reselling across all our channels,” said Xiaomi India in a statement on the Mi Community Forum. Additionally, Xiaomi has measures in place that block COD orders and coupons for suspicious accounts on Mi.com.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro specifications
The dual SIM smartphone from Xiaomi runs MIUI 9 on top of Android Nougat out-of-the-box. The phone sports a 5.99-inch full-HD+ (1080×2160 pixels) IPS display with an 18:9 aspect ratio. It is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 SoC, coupled with up to 6GB of RAM and 64GB of inbuilt storage. There is a 4000mAh battery under the hood.

In terms of camera specifications, the smartphone packs in a dual rear camera setup with a 12-megapixel primary sensor (f/2.2 aperture) and a 5-megapixel secondary sensor (f/2.0 aperture), coupled with an LED flash. On the front, the phone has a 20-megapixel selfie camera with an LED selfie-light.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


The ride-hailing company Uber broke Pennsylvania law when it failed to notify potential victims, including thousands of drivers, for a year after it discovered hackers had stolen their personal information, said the state attorney general, who sued the company Monday.

The lawsuit, filed in Philadelphia, said hackers stole the names and driver’s licence numbers of at least 13,500 Pennsylvania Uber drivers. It accused Uber of violating a state law requiring it to notify victims of a data breach within a “reasonable” time frame.

“Instead of notifying impacted consumers of the breach within a reasonable amount of time, Uber hid the incident for over a year – and actually paid the hackers to delete the data and stay quiet,” state Attorney General Josh Shapiro said in a statement. “That’s just outrageous corporate misconduct, and I’m suing to hold them accountable and recover for Pennsylvanians.”

Shapiro’s office did not have details about riders who were affected, but asked Pennsylvanians who believes they may have been harmed by the Uber hack to file a complaint with the office.

Uber revealed in November that hackers in 2016 had stolen the names, email addresses and mobile phone numbers of 57 million riders around the world. The thieves also nabbed the driver’s license numbers of 600,000 Uber drivers in the US The breach did not include any credit card information or Social Security information, Uber said.

When it revealed the hack, Uber said there was no evidence the stolen data had been misused. It acknowledged paying the hackers $100,000 (roughly Rs. 65 lakhs) to destroy the stolen information.

Washington state and Chicago have sued Uber, and attorneys general in other states have said they were investigating Uber’s data breach.

Uber said it is cooperating with Pennsylvania investigators.

“I’ve been up front about the fact that Uber expects to be held accountable; our only ask is that Uber be treated fairly and that any penalty reasonably fit the facts,” Uber said in statement from its chief legal officer, Tony West.

The lawsuit seeks civil penalties into the millions of dollars, including $1,000 for each violation of consumer protection laws and $3,000 for each violation involving a victim who is 60 or older.

It is the first time Pennsylvania has sued under a 12-year-old state law that makes failing to notify potential victims of a breach of personal information punishable under consumer protection laws.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Restaurant review new-comer The Infatuation announced Monday a deal to buy veteran Zagat from Google for an undisclosed amount.

Since Google bought Zagat a little more than six years ago for a reported $151 million (roughly Rs. 981 crores), the long-established service for evaluating dining experiences has seen appetites turn to Internet age services such as Yelp.

“Zagat has helped us provide useful and relevant dining results for users across our various products,” Google vice president of product Jen Fitzpatrick said in a joint statement.

“The Infatuation is an innovative company that will be a terrific home for the Zagat brand.”

The Infatuation planned to cook the Zagat brand into its website and mobile application as part of a stated mission to become an influential global restaurant discovery platform.

“Iconic brands don’t become available very often, and Zagat is about as iconic as it gets,” Infatuation co-founder and chief executive Chris Stang said.

Zagat will remain a separate platform, working in tandem with The Information, according to the company.

Zagat was founded in 1979 by Tim and Nina Zagat, serving restaurant ratings in printing guides and online. The team of reviewers grew, as did the types of industries covered in guides.

The Infatuation launched in 2009, particularly targeting smartphone-generation restaurant seekers, and boasts reaching more than three million people monthly in an array of cities around world.

“Tim and I are very excited for Zagat’s next chapter with The Infatuation,” Nina Zagat said.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Netflix has renewed Black Mirror for a fifth season. The announcement was made via a cryptic teaser on the show’s official Twitter account, with 12 screens – or black mirrors, as you prefer – showcasing clips from the previous four seasons, then changing to the Black Mirror buffering symbol, and ending with the tagline: “Be Right Back.”

That tagline is a reference to the season 2 premiere episode of the same name, starring Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter) and Domhnall Gleeson (Star Wars: The Last Jedi). And showing all the different episodes next to each other further emphasises the one-universe theory of Black Mirror, which was heavily reinforced in the final episode of season 4, “Black Museum”, starring Letitia Wright (Black Panther) and Douglas Hodge (The Night Manager).

There’s no information beyond that, on how many episodes there’ll be in the new season, and when Black Mirror season 5 will release. But given a March 2018 renewal, it’s unlikely you’ll catch any more dystopian Black Mirror settings before the end of the year.

The latest season of Black Mirror – season 4 – released in the final days of December, and explored topics such as a virtual reality game, extreme helicopter parenting, a unique dating app, privacy and surveillance, and the aforementioned compendium episode “Black Museum”. The season was a bit hit-and-miss overall, with certain episodes that felt overlong, and the show getting more violent.

Black Mirror originally began on Channel 4 in the UK, releasing six episodes in two seasons and a Christmas special from 2011 to 2014. Netflix made a deal with creator and writer Charlie Brooker in 2015, which led to 12 new episodes across two more seasons.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Google has now started rolling out the March Android security update for compatible Pixel and Nexus models. The new update is designed for devices, including Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P. It resolves a total of 37 issues as well as includes improvements specifically for the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL models. Alongside its availability in the form of an over-the-air (OTA) rollout, Google has released factory images and OTA zip files of the latest Android update.

You can check the availability of the March Android security update on your eligible Pixel or Nexus device by going to Settings > System updates. Alternatively, there are OTA zip files that can be installed on devices with an unlocked bootloader. OTA zip files can also be sideloaded on top of the existing software version. This mainly helps to retain user data. However, if you’re a pro, you can pick the updated factory images. You are recommended to back up your data before installing the update via a factory image.

As per the Android Security Bulletin for the month of March, there are 16 issues resolved in the March security update patch level dated 2018-03-01, while the 2018-03-05 patch level addresses 21 issues. Vulnerabilities range from high to critical, and the most severe is related to the media framework that could allow a remote attacker to executive arbitrary code through a “crafted file”. Importantly, Google notes that there are no reports of any active customer exploitation or abuse of the newly reported issues.

In addition to the general security enhancements, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL have received improved screen wake performance with fingerprint unlock as well as improved crash reporting. Moreover, the Pixel 2 XL has improved audio performance when recording videos.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Huawei’s Honor brand is all set to announce its latest mid-range smartphone – Honor 7C – at a launch event in China. The company posted the official invite for the event that will be held on March 12. The invite reveals that the latest budget phone from Honor, a toned down version of Honor 7X, will feature a dual camera setup, face recognition technology with image beautification, dual SIM support, and a 5.99-inch display. The phone was also spotted on certification website TENAA, late last month.

A report by GizChina has outed the official invite for the Honor 7C launch in Beijing next week. It is claimed that the upcoming smartphone will be priced comparatively to the recently launched Xiaomi Redmi 5, which suggests an expected pricing of around $249.99 (roughly Rs. 16,300). The report states that the smartphone will feature a metal body with a three-stage antenna design. While the invite mentions just a few hints about the phone, a recent TENAA spotting listed most of the Honor 7C’s specifications.

The smartphone is expected to sport a 5.99-inch HD+ (720×1440 pixels) display with an 18:9 aspect ratio, a 1.8GHz octa-core processor, 3GB/ 4GB of RAM, a dual camera rear shooter (20-megapixel + 13-megapixel), and a front camera with an 8-megapixel sensor. Additionally, the phone is also said to have a 2900mAh battery, and run Android Oreo out-of-the-box.

Connectivity options on the Honor 7C are suggested to include Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.1, and GPS. Dimensions of the upcoming phone have been listed as 158.3×76.7×7.8mm and weight will be 164 grams. Further, we can expect the Honor 7C to be available in Black, Gold, and Blue colour options.

Source: (gadgets.ndtv.com)