Archive for March, 2017



Paytm Payments Bank, which got the final approval from the Reserve Bank in January, hopes to start operations by the month-end, Paytm founder and chief executive Vijay Shekhar Sharma said in Mumbai on Friday.

“If the RBI blesses us, we will be able to have our bank by this month-end. Banking must be made available to everyone, the money that the customer puts in isn’t a liability but an asset,” Sharma said at the India Today Conclave in Mumbai.

Stating that banking in the present form is outdated, he said, “Versace suits will not change the banking model. Our payments bank will be built on a new model that will be focussed on bringing financial services to the hundreds of millions of unserved/under-served.”

Taking a swipe at the way banks have dealt with loans given to industrialists and especially in dealing with the big-ticket defaulters, Sharma said, “the present financial system penalises a sincere person, but if someone speaks the language of those in the corridors of power, he takes a loan of hundreds of crores and fails to pay it back, he will still manage to live in London or such locales.”
Sharma expressed belief that with greater penetration of mobile Internet connectivity, his business will grow further.

Paytm currently has about 21.5 crore subscribers, Sharma said adding as against this SBI has 20.7 subscribers. Paytm does about 20 crore transactions a month, while according to RBI data, all other e-wallets put together do 19 crore transactions.

“You can undermine a business but not a technology; it is a tsunami,” he said on online payments and smart phones. To further deepen this, we need better Internet network and telecom connections, he added.
Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Sony on Monday announced a new entry-level smartphone, called the Xperia L1. The company highlights a sharp display on a near edge-to-edge screen. The new device is being offered in Black, White, and Pink colour options.

The smartphone follows Sony’s design language of near bezel-less displays. The Xperia L1 features an almost edge to edge display. However, bezels on the top and bottom remain thick as was the case with the Xperia XZ Premium and Xperia XA1 Ultra smartphones that were launched at MWC last month. The smartphone features smooth rounded edges for ease of hold.

The Xperia L1 runs Android 7.0 Nougat and features a 5.5-inch HD (720×1280) LCD display. The smartphone is powered by a 1.45GHz quad-core MediaTek MT6737T SoC and Mali-T720 MP2 GPU, coupled with 2GB of RAM. The handset comes with 16GB of inbuilt storage which is expandable via microSD card.
Optics on the Xperia L1 include a 13-megapixel rear camera with f/2.2 aperture and a 5-megapixel camera with 24mm wide-angle lens and f/2.2 aperture. Connectivity options include 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.2 with aptX, NFC, A-GPS, GLONASS, and USB Type-C.

The dual-SIM Xperia L1 packs a 2620mAh battery with Sony’s STAMINA mode for battery saving. The smartphone measures 151x74x8.7mm and weighs 180 grams. Sony has also added Xperia Actions to the budget smartphone which adapts the device to your time and surrounding.

As of now, there has been no mention regarding the price of the Xperia L1, but according to AndroidHeadlines, the smartphone is expected to launch in select markets including Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia, North America and Latin America in April.

 
Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)


Google has confirmed that it is working on the successors of the Pixel and Pixel XL devices, and a recent report even outed their codenames – Muskie and Walleye. Now, a separate report tips that the tech giant is working on a third device as well, much larger than the other two, and this one is codenamed Taimen.

Taimen is another type of fish known for its large size, and Droid Life claims that Google is working on a third large-display device scheduled to launch this year. The device is codenamed Taimen, however, apart from that there is little else that is known about the device.
Android Police cites its internal source to claim that Taimen could be a phone, but the surety of this is very little. This Taimen device could be a tablet as well, or could be large Pixel-branded phone. Alternatively, it wouldn’t sport Pixel branding at all be a completely different device with a unique branding of its own. There is no clarity on this matter as of now. As time of launch nears, more details on this mysterious third device should be known.

As for Muskie and Walleye, they are tipped to be the codenames of the successors of the Pixel phones. Walleye is the name given to the base variant (Pixel 2), whereas Muskie is reserved for the larger model (Pixel XL 2). Previous leaks suggest that the Pixel 2 may come with an improved camera, a better processor, and be water and dust resistant as well.
Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)


After much negative feedback from users over the removal of the old Status feature, WhatsApp has decided to bring it back. The old WhatsApp Text Status feature was first seen in the ‘About’ section on Android beta, and now WhatsApp has officially confirmed its arrival.

The Facebook-owned IM app told TechCrunch that the old Status feature will be revived. In fact, all WhatsApp users on Android will get the feature over the next week and iPhone users will get it soon as well.

“We heard from our users that people missed the ability to set a persistent text-only update in their profile, so we’ve integrated this feature into the ‘About’ section in profile settings. Now, the update will appear next to profile names anytime you view contacts, such as when creating a new chat or looking at Group info. At the same time, we’re continuing to build on the new Status feature that gives people fun and engaging ways to share photos, videos and GIFs with their friends and family throughout their day,” the company issued a statement to the publication.
This WhatsApp Text Status feature will work just in the same way as it was seen on Android beta version 2.17.95. Users will be able to set a text WhatsApp Status in the ‘About’ section which will change only when you want it to. Your contact list will be able to see the Status message by opening your contact, when starting a new chat thread, or viewing group info.

In any case, the new WhatsApp Status stories feature isn’t going anywhere and will remain a constant in a separate tab. You can add photos and videos that disappear in 24 hours, just like Snapchat. The tab also lists all the new updates from your contacts in the same format as you see on Snapchat. Unfortunately, there’s no way (yet) to disable this WhatsApp feature completely.

Facebook also introduced a similar feature on its Messenger service, named ‘Messenger Day’. This feature also lets you post photos and videos that disappear after 24 hours, but it’s a little more invasive than WhatsApp as it changes a lot of the interface behaviour jarring people’s habitual patterns.

 

Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)


The telecom tribunal on Thursday did not stay Reliance Jio’s free promotional offer, but asked regulator TRAI to “re-examine” issues relating to the approval granted to the operator to continue with the freebies.

The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT), in its order on Thursday, asked TRAI to apprise it of the “outcome and findings of the examination” within two weeks.

TDSAT last week had reserved the order on an interim appeal seeking a stay on Reliance Jio’s free offer after hearing all the parties concerned, including TRAI, incumbent operators Bharti Airtel and Idea Cellular, and newcomer Jio.

In its interim appeal, Airtel had sought a stay on TRAI’s approval to Jio to continue with the free services. It had also sought a direction to the regulator to produce all the records related to its decision.

The appeal also sought to restrain Jio from providing its consumers the zero tariff plan and promotional plans. Jio had launched the inaugural free voice and data plan in September last year, and in December, extended the freebies till March 31, 2017.

Following this, the existing players such as Airtel and Idea moved the telecom tribunal against TRAI for letting the new operator continue the free promotional offer beyond the stipulated 90 days.
The operators criticised the regulator for being a “mute spectator” to the alleged violations.

On January 31, TRAI had held that Jio’s free voice calling and data plan were not violation of the regulatory guidelines.

TRAI had further said its examination had revealed that. the ‘Happy New Year Offer’ launched by Jio on December 4, 2016, is distinct from its earlier Jio Welcome Offer and could not be treated as an extension of the promotional offer as the benefits under both differed.

Recently, Jio announced that it will start charging for its mobile services from April 1.

Last month, Jio said its existing subscribers and new customers who come on board by March 31 can continue to enjoy unlimited benefits of its Happy New Year Offer for one more year (till March 31, 2018) by paying a one-time fee of Rs. 99 and thereafter Rs. 303 a month.

 

Source : (gadgets.ndtv.com)